Skip to content

Passport/Travel Abroad

The following information, including links and contact information, are resources to help you with questions and concerns you may have regarding passports and traveling abroad. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact one of my state offices and a member of my staff will be happy to assist you.

The Department of State is the agency responsible for issuing passports to United States Citizens. Since it is the agency that maintains our diplomatic presence in foreign countries, it also provides services to American Citizens abroad.


I am planning to travel to another country; do I need a passport and/or a visa?

The Department of State website has a page dedicated to determining if you need a passport and visa to travel to countries abroad. The website also has information on the safety of the country and other travel restrictions you should be aware of prior to traveling. For more information please click here.

I am a new applicant for a passport. How do I apply for a passport and what do I need?

To obtain a passport, applicants need to apply in person at one of 9,000 passport acceptance facilities across the United States. (please click here for the location nearest you) Please make sure to have all of the necessary documentation with you. Applicants will need to bring the following items to apply for a passport:

  • Application for a passport UNSIGNED (also available at the passport acceptance facilities)
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (example: Certified Birth Certificate)
  • Proof of Identity (example: Drivers License or Military ID)
  • Two passport-sized photos (2x2 inches, color, identical, head on photos)
  • Passport fees (age 16+: $100; age 15 and under: $85)

Please click here for more examples of acceptable documentation.

Do I need to provide my original documents when applying for a passport?

Yes. Because the United States Department of State uses your documentation to verify your U.S. Citizenship you must provide originals or certified copies of your documentation to the passport acceptance facility. Photocopies you have made will not be accepted. Your documentation will be returned to you once your passport has been adjudicated. For more information on acceptable forms of documentation please click here.

I have never traveled overseas before. What are some steps I can take to remain safe?

The Department of State wants to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable trip abroad. Because of this they have a webpage dedicated to travel tips. Please click here for more information.

How long does passport processing take? Can I get expedited service?

Typically passports take 8-11 weeks to process. Expedited service is offered for both new and renewal applicants, and processing times is 5-7 weeks. Expedited service costs and additional $60 plus overnight shipping costs. For more information, visit:

What is Casework?

If you are having trouble solving a problem with a federal agency, Senator Shaheen may be able to help. Due to the separation of powers, we are unable to assist with problems not related to federal agencies, such as judicial or state matters.

Open a Case

If you would like to contact Senator Shaheen for help with a federal agency, please click the button below.