Skip to content

Social Security

The following information, including links and contact information, are resources to help you with questions and concerns you may have regarding social security.  If you cannot find the information you are looking for, or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact one of my state offices and a member of my staff will be happy to assist you.


I have been denied disability benefits by the SSA. What can I do?

Once your application for benefits is denied, you will receive a denial notice from the SSA.  This notice includes information regarding your right to file a reconsideration or appeal.  Make sure that you file your appeal within the timeframe listed on the denial notice.

In order to be approved for disability benefits, the SSA needs information which proves:

  • You must be unable to do work you did before
  • You cannot adjust to other work because of a medical condition
  • Your disability must last or be expected to last for at least 12 months

If you have been denied benefits, please make sure to provide the SSA with new medical information.

Does the Social Security Administration pay short term benefits?

No, the SSA only pays for total disability.  No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability.

How should I begin to apply for Social Security Benefits?

You may apply for Social Security benefits through the Social Security website or by visiting your local Social Security office.

How do I obtain a social security card?

Original Card If you have never had a social security card or have never been issued a social security number, you will need to fill out an application for a social security card. You will need to submit your application in person or by mail to your nearest social security office.  In addition you will need to provide the Social Security Administration proof of your:

  • Age (usually with a birth certificate, but other documents may be accepted)
  • Identity and U.S. citizenship (U.S. driver's license, state issued non-driver ID or U.S. passport) or lawful alien status (Form I-551, I-94 with unexpired foreign passport, work permit card)

Name Change If you legally change your name for any reason, such as marriage or divorce, you should notify the SSA so that you may get your corrected social security card.  You will need to complete the application for a social security card and provide your local Social Security office proof of your:

  • Legal name change (such as marriage document or divorce decree)
  • Identity (a government issued photo ID such as a driver's license showing your old name)

Contact Information

There are several SSA offices located throughout New Hampshire.  As the hours do change from location to location, please make sure to call prior to visiting.

Social Security Field Offices

70 Commercial Street, Suite 100
Concord, NH 03301-5005

9 Elm Street
Keene, NH 03431

177 Main Street
Littleton, NH 03561

1100 Elm Street, Suite 201
Manchester, NH 03101

175 Amherst Street, Suite 2
Nashua, NH 03064-1366

215 Commerce Way, Suite 200
Portsmouth, NH 03801

National Telephone Service

You may also conduct some business 24 hours a day using the SSA National Customer Service Line at 1 (800) 772-1213 or 1 (800) 325-0778 (TTY) between the hours of 7:00am and 7:00pm Monday-Friday.

What is Casework?

If you are having trouble solving a problem with a federal agency, Senator Shaheen may be able to help. Due to the separation of powers, we are unable to assist with problems not related to federal agencies, such as judicial or state matters.

Open a Case

If you would like to contact Senator Shaheen for help with a federal agency, please click the button below.