Skip to content


The following information, including links and contact information, are resources to help you with questions and concerns you may have regarding housing issues. Senator Shaheen's office has assisted 1,200 New Hampshire families with issues related to their home mortgage, including stopping foreclosures, short sale assistance and assistance with obtaining mortgage modifications. If you cannot find the information you are looking for below, or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact one of my state offices and a member of my staff will be happy to assist you.

Mortgage Modification/Refinance

If you are having trouble paying your mortgage, applying for a mortgage modification, or you are facing foreclosure, the following resources will help guide you through the process. Senator Shaheen's office is happy to assist in your mortgage or banking issues and recommends the following steps:

Contact Your Lender

It is important to be proactive, so if you are worried about falling behind on mortgage payments, or if you have already fallen behind on payments, you should contact your lender immediately and inquire as to what options are available to you. You should also keep a detailed record of all conversations and correspondence between you and your lender.

Determine Who Owns Your Mortgage

Often times, when contacting your bank, you are talking only to the servicer of the loan acting on behalf of an investor, or the person who owns your loan. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are government-sponsored entities (GSE) chartered by Congress who may own your home loan. You can click here to determine if Fannie Mae or here to determine if Freddie Mac is the investor of your loan.

Please note that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are not the only investors of mortgage loans. If neither is the investor, please contact your servicer directly and request information regarding the investor of your mortgage loan.

Contact a HUD Approved Housing Counselor 

A Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved housing counselor can help guide you through the process of creating a budget and determining for which programs you may be eligible. HUD approved counselors can also assist you with submitting modification and refinance paperwork to your lender. These counselors are trained to understand the in and outs of mortgage modification and refinance.

You should only work with a HUD approved housing counselor or a licensed attorney regarding your mortgage. The Federal Trade Commission has issued a ruling which can be found here warning against mortgage rescue scams.

HUD Approved Housing Counselors in New Hampshire can be found here

If you choose, you may file a complaint against your bank: If your lender is a local bank, the New Hampshire Banking Department is the regulatory agency for your financial institution. You can visit their website here to file a complaint. You may also contact them directly by mailing your formal written complaint to:

  • State of New Hampshire
    Banking Department
    53 Regional Drive, Suite 200
    Concord, N.H. 03301

If your lender is a national bank, you can search here to determine which agency regulates your financial institution. My office is also able to assist you in placing a complaint with the appropriate federal agency.

Other Resources

Making Home AffordableThe Making Home Affordable (MHA) Program is part of President Obama's strategy to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. Through the program, homeowners can lower their monthly mortgage payments and/or obtain help to avoid foreclosure.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC): The OCC's primary mission is to charter, regulate, and supervise all national banks. The OCC is headquartered in Washington D.C. and has four district offices plus an office in London to supervise the international activities of national banks.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development: The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is a Cabinet department in the Executive branch of the United States federal government. The department was established on September 9, 1965, when Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Department of Housing and Urban Development Act into law. HUD is administered by the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, Shaun Donovan.

Know Your Is a website operated by Fannie Mae. The website contains information on options to stay in your home, options when leaving your home, how to avoid housing scams and other resources.

Help for New Hampshire Homeowners( Is a website operated by the State of New Hampshire that contains, among other resources, tips on foreclosure prevention, working with your lender, and tenant's rights during foreclosure.

Legal Resources: Should you choose to seek legal advice regarding your housing issue, below are some contacts within the state of New Hampshire which may be helpful.

NH Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Ph: (603) 229-0002

603 Legal Aid
Ph: 1 (800) 639-5290 or (603) 224-3333

What is Casework?

If you are having trouble solving a problem with a federal agency, Senator Shaheen may be able to help. Due to the separation of powers, we are unable to assist with problems not related to federal agencies, such as judicial or state matters.

Open a Case

If you would like to contact Senator Shaheen for help with a federal agency, please click the button below.