SHAHEEN HOSTS NEW HAMPSHIRE BUSINESS LEADERS AND KEY POLICYMAKERS IN WASHINGTON FOR ANNUAL LUNCH
Annual Business Day Luncheon gives members of Granite State business community the opportunity to hear from policymakers and ask questions
(Washington, DC)- This afternoon, nearly 200 members of the New Hampshire business community joined U.S. Senator Shaheen (D-NH) for the fifth annual New Hampshire Business Day Luncheon to discuss with key policymakers how federal agencies and policies can support business growth and job creation in the state. The annual event gives Granite State businesses the opportunity to hear directly from Washington leaders, elected and government officials, and ask questions about policies that impact their business. Shaheen is the Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship.
“We need to do all we can to support small business growth in New Hampshire because when small businesses succeed our economy and Granite State families succeed,” said Shaheen. “Small businesses are the backbone of our economy and the New Hampshire Business Day Luncheon is a great opportunity for members of the business community to learn about the resources available at the federal level and speak directly with Washington policymakers.”
Featured speakers who addressed the New Hampshire business community included:
- U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen, State of New Hampshire
- Jim Roche, President, Business and Industry Association of New Hampshire
- Senator Kelly Ayotte, State of New Hampshire
- Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Secretary Jeh Johnson, U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Mr. Chuck Todd, NBC News Political Director, Moderator and Managing Editor, “Meet the Press”
- Chairman Fred Hochberg, Export-Import Bank of the United States
- Senator John McCain, State of Arizona & Chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Armed Services
- General Joseph F. Dunford, Jr., Commandant of the Marine Corps
As Ranking Member of the Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, Shaheen has made supporting small businesses and job creation in New Hampshire a top priority. She recently introduced legislation in the Senate to reauthorize the Export-Import Bank to help small businesses sell their products overseas. She has consistently worked to aid small companies in reaching foreign customers and has been a strong support of the Export-Import Bank helping secure its reauthorization in 2012. Shaheen is also working to reauthorize the State Trade and Export Promotion (STEP) grant program which helps New Hampshire business take advantage of trade opportunities.
A list of this year’s attendees is attached.